Press "Enter" to skip to content

Who to call in the event of a flood

Photo of floodingIf you need to be evacuated because of severe flooding or damage, contact the police or dial 999.

For general issues around flooding, contact the Isle of Wight Council on (01983) 823600 (this also doubles up as the COVID-19 support line).

If you believe the flooding is from a main river or the sea, contact the Environment Agency on 0345 988 1188.

The Environment Agency also provides help on flooding issues via its Floodline: 0345 988 1188.

To report flooding on the highway or drainage issues, contact Island Roads on (01983) 822440.

Notify Southern Water if flooding affects your mains sewage/public drains by calling 0330 303 0368.

Notify the National Grid to report a gas leak as the result of flooding on 0800 111 999.

Notify SSE of electrical issues such as power cuts by calling 105.

For non-emergency calls pertaining to vulnerable older people, call adult services on (01983) 823340 (office hours) or (01983) 821105 (out of hours).

NHS ‘111’ for non-urgent health concerns.

Think about flooding before it happens

The council or the Environment Agency can tell you about the dangers of flooding where you live.

If available for your neighbourhood, sign up for free flood warning messages from the Environment Agency’s Floodline: 0345 988 1188.

Make a personal ‘flood plan’ for what you will do in a flood. Advice is available from:

Prepare your home in case there is a flood. This includes flood proofing, flood boards and airbrick covers. Advice is available from:

Buy flood insurance to protect your home and your belongings.

Public health information 

Click here for Fact Sheet

In the event of a flood, try to avoid contact with the flood water. Do not drive through flood water and do not let children play in it.

Take care if you must go through flood water as there could be hidden dangers like sharp objects, raised manhole covers and pollution.

When cleaning up after a flood, wear rubber gloves, boots and eye protection, and wash your hands afterwards.

If your home is flooded, do not use petrol or diesel generators indoors to dry out your home. The exhaust gases contain carbon monoxide, which can kill.

Dealing with damaged belongings following a flood

Speak to your insurance company about losses and clean up including the removal of damaged property. Bagged flood damaged property can be taken to the tip.